Homemade cards are not only a joy to create but they are also super special for the recipient when opened. If you’re looking for a beautiful DIY card to give someone special this Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day, you’re in luck! This 3D hot air balloon card is colorful, sweet and surprisingly easy to create.
In this post, learn how to make this beautiful 3D Balloon Card with our template, step-by-step instructions, and helpful video.
Source: I Heart Crafty Things
How to make 3D hot air balloon card
This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. I Heart Crafty Things is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for websites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com .
- hot air balloon card template <—– GET SAMPLE HERE
- pink or red card
- kraft paper cover
- craft sticks
- Glue (You can also use Glue or Double Tape)
1. Start by downloading and printing a 3D hot air balloon card template. Print hot air balloon basket on kraft paperboard and heart pattern on red or pink cardboard. (Note: We’ve included two baskets with the template to save paper, but only one basket is needed for each balloon card.)
2. Cut each piece of the hot air balloon card template.
3. Fold your balloon basket in half along the dotted line on the pattern. Use a marker to write a special message on the inside of the card. You can use sentences like “Love flies”, “You make my heart soar, Valentine!” Or come up with a clever quote of your own.
4. Gather your paper hearts. Fold five hearts in half. Use your glue stick to add glue to one of the folded heart halves. Then stick another half of the heart on it. Continue adding glue and adding a paper heart until all five have been glued together, creating a 3D heart balloon.
5. Add glue to one of the outer halves of the 3D heart and stick it on the reserved paper heart. Then add glue to the opposite half of the heart and glue down the other half of the paper heart.
6. Grab your two craft sticks. Add glue at the bottom 1 inch of each craft stick. Stick the hot air balloon card on the craft sticks.
7. Add glue to the top 1 inch of each craft stick. Stick the 3D heart-shaped balloon on the tip of the craft stick. Allow the Adhesive to dry completely.
If you’re prepping the time and don’t want to wait for it to dry (boy, can I get it!), you can try using Dot Glue or double-sided tape to attach the heart-shaped air balloon and basket into the craft stick. We haven’t had a chance to try those options yet so I can’t speak to their durability, but it looks like both will work.
Your 3D hot air balloon card is done
Once the glue is completely dry, you can pick up the balloon card to see its stunning 3D size. From the top, bottom and all sides of the ball, it is absolutely beautiful.
The 3D effect on this card makes it impossible to put it inside an envelope for mailing, but I think the recipient will love it when it’s given to them.
This beautiful 3D hot air balloon card is a perfect Valentine Card for kids to give to mom, dad or grandma. This card is a little too high end for younger kids but it would make a great Valentine’s Day craft for elementary school kids to create at school as a take-home craft .
You can also create this beautiful heart balloon card to make a special card for Mother’s Day. Mom or grandma will surely smile in their ear when they receive this beautiful card.